Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yom Haatzmaut vs Naqba (11)(wj)

I cannot speak for other Jews and Zionists, but I can speak for myself. There was a time when I took offense at the term “nakba” and I must admit that the sight of the Palestinian flag (let alone the flag of Hamas) still sets my teeth on edge. I doubt that one can celebrate Yom Ha’atzmaut and Nakba Day at the same moment. One “solution” would be to celebrate Yom Haatzmaut on its Hebrew (lunar calendar) date and Nakba day on its solar calendar date. But searching for a solution to this problem through the calendar is obviously beside the point. As long as there is no peace, as long as the occupation continues and it remains an occupation of settlement rather than an occupation of security, there will be enmity between Zionists and Palestinians that will be reflected in the Independence versus Nakba dichotomy.

Many years ago I toured the city of Tiberias and was confronted by a Palestinian youth who was filled with anger and violent intentions. I asked him if he (his people) came from Tiberias and were kicked out and he answered yes. I reacted in silence and contemplation, as if to say, “I don’t know how we will fix these facts of history.” He seemed to understand my contemplation and this disarmed his anger.

Obviously this is no answer. In fact peace is far away and the occupation of the west bank is an occupation of settlement and not security. Part of me believes that if there is good will a compromise can be found. Currently there seems to be a lack of good will and there seems to be a high probability of much more bloodletting on the horizon.

I do not wave the Israeli flag these days. Yet when I hear condemnation of the flag it raises my ire. And I do have pride in the birth of Israel and in its 62nd birthday. But the problems are too many to let that pride last more than a few moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment